Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Orkut - On and off

I was having some difficulty with my multiple social networks when I remembered a piece I wrote last December ( http://www.blsmartbuy.com/?p=2001) predicting that social networking will lose its cool-ness; that it will become ordinary, like having an e-mail address.

Most of us have multiple e-mail addresses, at least one of which we check daily; and the others at varying frequencies, maybe even once a month. That will likely happen in social networking as well.

I noticed that I was signing up for almost every new social network that a friend invited me to or was already part of: orkut, twitter, facebook, linkedin, myspace, etc.

After every new sign up, I’d be very active for some time, till another one came along. Then, I’d feel guilty about maintaining radio silence and there’d be a flurry of posts/messages, and then it would trail off again… There are a couple that I haven’t logged into since the new year.

I find it very difficult to be part of many social networks at the same time; it is almost like being at different parties at the same time. I recently integrated my tweets into facebook so that I don’t have to update both.

I thought it was just the digital migrants who had this problem; and it seems I was wrong. A digital native friend recently tweeted: “Is wondering how many soc net sites can one seriously be involved with”.

Oh, and a tweet is a short message or status update in twitter.

N. Nagaraj
source: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2009/03/02/stories/2009030250030100.htm

No comments: